- to train specialists of high qualification, to have fundamental theoretical knowledge, practical skills in their specialty and be well informed about the most recent science and technology achievements in the world;
- to carry out, together with training, fundamental research and applied scientific studies, to participate in developing international special purpose projects of Russian and other international organizations;
- to provide researchers, instructors and specialists with postgraduate training, as well as additional re-training, further education and e-learning courses for improving qualification.
The MIIGAiK has entered the 21st century with a highly creative & innovative potential of its staff and a rich scientific base, actively using in the educational process the latest technological achievements in the fields of astronomy, geodesy, cartography, photogrammetry, remote sensing & cosmos research, as well as urban cadastre & territorial development. Russian higher education is notable for its authority as one of the best engineering schools. Its professors and technical staff, having unique pedagogical experience in training students and post-graduates from all over the world, always sharing their knowledge and experience.
As a former aspirant 40 years ago I entered the MIIGAiK in 1969 for my own PhD research on geo-statistical approaches to automated generalization under the leadership of Prof. V. I. SUCHOV - at that time one of the well-known cartographer dealing with information, entropy and generalization applications of data storage in Information Search Systems ( "Informacionno-poiskovye sistemy" ) in cartography. Therefore, but now 40 years later, it has been a great opportunity having the high-tec company "1spatial" (Cambridge, UK) - the leading european company in the field of automated generalization in Europe - at the GI2009-Symposium-DRESDEN ( 9. Sächsisches GIS-Forum ) and reporting about the progress made for automated generalization processes across Europe. It will be a great pleasure for me returning again to Moscow and participating in the forthcoming International Conference on the occasion of the 230-years celebration of MIIGAiK.
The International Conference on Geodesy, Cartography and Cadastre is to be held on May 25-27, 2009, in the MIIGAiK conference hall at the address: 4 Gorokhovsky by-street, Moscow 105064, Russia. Scientific and technical reports are on the following topics:
- Cartography and Design
- Photogrammetry. Remote Sensing of the Earth and Planets
- Cartographic and Geodetic Support for Space Research
- GeoInformation Systems and Technologies
- The Cadastre of Real Estate Units. The Economy and Development of Areas
- Legal Regulation of Land and Property Relations
- Instrumentation for Geodetic and Geoinformation Technologies
- Cartographic and Geodetic Education
F. HOFFMANN, Dresden, May 2009.